Sunday, March 26, 2006

My Own Private Opera Performance

I went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Capitol Theatre on Saturday night with Owen, Kim and Pam. As we were driving up to the theatre I was talking to Pam about the opera. It turns out that Pam actually sings opera. This, of course, piqued my interest as I have been starting to get into opera myself lately. I asked Pam what her favorite opera was and she listed a number of operas but said that one her favorite songs was Nessun Dorma from the opera Turandot.

Pam tried to describe the song, saying that it was fairly popular and that we would probably recognize it if we heard it. Jokingly, I told her to sing some of it to us. I say that all the time to people that are trying to describe a song to me and nobody ever does. I don't even really expect anyone to sing when I ask them to; it's just a joke. Most people sing so horribly that they would never even consider singing in front of other people.

Well, Pam apparently didn't think I was kidding and she actually starting belting out opera as we were driving along I-15 on the way to Salt Lake City. Oh my God, she had such an incredible voice. It was beautiful. It only lasted 15 or 20 seconds, but it was still probably the highlight of my evening... and that's saying alot considering that it was a pretty damned good evening.

Lest any of you (one of you in particular) get the wrong impression I would like to clarify that Pam is LDS and I wouldn't really consider pursuing a relationship with her. But she was good company for the theatre and I have to admit that I was terribly impressed by her voice.

No comments: