Friday, March 03, 2006

A Friendly Reminder

I tend to be a much more agressive driver on my motorcycle than I am in my car. OK, I'm man enough to admit it... I can be a real asshole driver on the bike. It might have been me that flew by you on freeway doing 100 MPH and passing you on the shoulder. It might have been me that passed you by driving in between lanes of traffic. Why do I do this? I don't know really... because I can? When I see people give me dirty looks, I shrug and think that they would probably do the same thing if they could.

As bad as I am year round, things are probably at their worst in the Spring. After suffering through several months of withdrawl from road lust, I feel like I need to make up for lost time. So, I drive a little faster and a little crazier.

I was doing about 20 over as I was coming down Hwy 6 this morning in Spanish Fork when I noticed that there was a Police car coming up the hill from the other direction. He didn't look like he was a traffic cop, but I still thought it best to ease onto the brakes just a little. Just as this thought passed through my head, the police car flipped on it's lights. "Ah, shit", I thought to myself. "I'm going to get a speeding ticket".

I slowed down and started to pull over waiting for the cop car to turn around and bust me. As the cop car passed, he signaled to me to slow down by moving his hands in a downward motion. He proceeded to pass, turned off his lights and then just kept going. I had been spared a speeding ticket. The near-ticket encounter scared the 'fast' out of me for about another 300 yards, at which point I opened the throttle back up and did 90 or 100 all the way to work.

No comments: