Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Car Shopping

Last week my Cavalier started making funny noises again. I've finally decided that it's not worth putting any more money into fixing this car. So, I've begun the long and arduous process of shopping for a new car. My short list right now is as follows:
  • Volkswagon Jetta
  • Volkswagon Passat
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Camry
  • Honda Civic
  • Honda Accord
I actually stopped by the VW dealer today on the way home and test drove both the Jetta and the Passat. I really, really dig the Passat. The only question is whether or not I really want to spend 30K on a new car. There's no doubt that I could afford it, but the question is whether or not I really want to. I could buy a Corolla or Civic for half the price and find plenty of other ways to spend the 15K that I saved. On the other hand, if this car lasts me for 10 years like my last one did, I would just as soon have a nice car for the next ten years of my life and not one that I settled for.

I was previously harboring delusions of owning an SUV so that I could haul toys around, but I've pretty much killed that idea. I've decided this winter that there aren't any toys that I use frequently enough that it would work out to buy them and store them rather then just rent them a couple of times a season. Besides I never really liked the idea of having to drive an SUV to work every day. It would make me feel dirty.

4 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Jessie says that according to Consumer Reports the two Hondas are the best value as far as longterm maintenance and reliability go, and VWs not so much. And we both say amen to your decision not to buy an SUV.

svoid said...

Thanks, that's good info.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

And for the otherside of the arguement ... I say go for the passat check out the video for the geek factor!!!

Video