Friday, February 22, 2008

Marathon Hospital Stay

It feels like we have been at the hospital forever now. Thankfully, there is an end in sight. It looks like we'll be let go on Saturday morning. We've been here since Tuesday night... ugh.

Sara is an exceptionally healthy baby. She is very alert and seems bigger and stronger than most 2 day old babies. Our only trouble has been that she seems to get a lot of gas. As I was burping last night, I asked in a baby voice... "Where's all the gas coming from, huh?"... and then the answer occurred to me: GENETICS. Poor girl.

Rosey seems to be getting better by the hour. She has been able to get up and walk around and seems to be relying a little less on the pain medication. It's still no picnic for her though. We're hoping that she'll be feeling back to normal within a week or so.

After hearing and/or reading about how much trouble some women have with breast feeding I was almost surprised to see how natural it seemed to come to Rosey and Sara. Sara has a killer grip... a lesson which I learned to Rosey's consternation when I tried to pull her away from Rosey's breast without unlatching her first. I won't make that mistake again. I also think that Rosey's success is largely due to the months of reading and research that she did to prepare herself. I'm really proud of all the work that she has done and it's fun to see it all paying off now.

C-Sections make for lucky fathers that get to spend more time with baby since Mom isn't feeling well. Because Rosey isn't very mobile, I have been charged with most of the other care duties outside of breast feeding. Largely this means, burping, soothing, and changing dirty diapers. Because of little Sara's gas this has been no small task. I have also quickly become acquainted with the affects of sleep deprivation. I woke up this morning at 1am after only getting about an hour of sleep and it took me several minutes to remember who I was and what I was doing. It was seriously a creepy kind of feeling.

Rosey's Mom has been with us here in the hospital and has been a huge help to us both. I think that the only reason that I've gotten any sleep at all in the last two days has been thanks to her. It's funny how your perspective can change so quickly. Before the baby came we were convinced that we were going to be able to handle everything by ourselves and that Mom's help would be superfluous. I would say that it took less than 8 hours after Sara was born to realize just how wrong we were and now we are immensely grateful that Rosey's Mom is here to help us. Thanks Mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I'm the lucky first viewer of fabulous photos of Sara. She is so responsive to her daddy, her grandma. Thanks Dad Dan!

Chris said...

Welcome to the rough first few months of being a parent :) Just cherish every minute you can at this age because they grow up very very fast. Before you know it she will be walking and talking and you will wonder where the time has gone.

Hugs
Shannon

SenecaSis said...

Genetics. Yes Sarabelle is definitely part, of this family. Just ask your two youngest sisters about their offspring's generous flatulence.

And I second Shannon's comments: time will fly and before you know it she'll be walking and talking, and asking for money to go shopping for clothes.